PRINTABLE RESOURCES FOR 2018 MUSIC CARNIVAL
Resources that have not yet been updated for 2018 are in light blue.
1. PARENT INFORMATION AND REGISTRATION LETTER detailing the Carnival and Music Literacy Program (formerly Musicianship Exams, referred to as MLP in the rest of this page). Fill in your name, and the date that you want fees turned in to you in order to have registrations to Dianne Johnston by March 12, 2018.
Click to download and save a copy, or print: WORD DOC FORMAT | PDF FORMAT
2. PARENT PERMISSION SLIP AND REGISTRATION FORM: Every student must have a signed permission slip on file at the event, so we included it with the registration information, to be collected by you and turned in with your studio registration by the deadline of March 12, 2018. If using the Word Doc format, you may need to adjust the margins on your own computer, as each of these forms is meant to fit on a single page. The PDF Format is not editable but will print correctly.
Click to download and save a copy, or print: WORD DOCX FORMAT | PDF FORMAT
3. 2018 CARNIVAL POSTER, PDF Format: Both Color and Black-and-White versions are included in this file.
Coming in March: Music Literacy Project Personnel List 2018 (Teacher job assignments for events and rooms)
Clicking the link above (when active) will open a PDF file that you can read, print and/or download.
INSTRUCTIONS: (also see How to Register Students for MLP)
Links to these documents are posted above ^ :
• Parent Information Letter
• Parent Permission Slip/Registration Form
• Carnival Poster
Print off the Parent Information Letter, and Parent Permission Slip/Registration, and send home with your students.
Print copies of the Carnival Poster and put in your studio and around town. We want to raise the visibility of our association and our event, and non-members are welcome to participate, so please place these posters in advantageous places! 😊
1. All teachers entering students are asked to help. If you have not communicated with Debra or Melanie about helping, and are planning to enter students, please volunteer to assist in exam rooms.
2. New Members: We’d love to have you involved! Please contact Debra or Dianne if you have any questions or want more information.
3. If you haven’t already done so, visit the WSMTA website at www.wsmta.org. On the home page under Programs for Students, click Music Literacy Program. On this page are listed the Forms to download. You can download an updated copy of the MLP Handbook. The registration deadline is March 12. (More information will be coming in the February Quavers regarding how to fill out the WSMTA Music Literacy Program registration forms specifically for our use in KMTA.)
4. Strings Exams are available for Theory, Sight Reading, Technique and Ear Training, developed by Jane Melin specifically for string instruments. Strings studios are encouraged to participate!
5. Treble Wind Instrument Exams are now available for Theory, Technique and Ear Training, developed by Diane Layton and Shelly Devlin. Rhythm exams are available for all students, regardless of instrument.
6. Please continue to watch our emails regularly for Carnival updates. We’re excited to be working with all of you. And we hope YOU are getting excited, and spreading that enthusiasm to your students! It’s going to be a great Carnival Day! Thank you all!
Debra Florian, NCTM
KMTA Carnival Chair
Dianne Johnston, WSCTM
Music Literacy Program Chair
Melanie Stroud, NCTM
KMTA Carnival Co-Chair
Diane Layton, NCTM
Music Literacy Program Co-Chair
Additional Instructions Coming in March/April:
Room Assignments and Job Assignments
We will need keyboards.
- If you are the lead examiner for a room that uses a keyboard, please let me know if you already have one lined up to use, or if you need one.
- If you have a keyboard we could use for the day, please let me know that also.
Adult volunteers needed:
- For every exam room, to check students in and to fill out ribbons. Lead examiners are responsible to be sure your room has an adult helper lined up (or one for a.m., one for p.m.)
- To man the registration desk and to help in the carnival area.
- Each teacher please line up at least 1 adult helper. Send names to me as you get confirmation of helpers. Thank you!
- To assist in prompting volunteer student helpers and parents, a space has been provided on the registration/permission form.
Student helpers are needed to run Carnival games and assist with food.
- If you have 1 or more students, 14 years or older who would like to help, please send me their name(s).
- We also need a few face-painters–older students with artistic talents. (Supplies will be provided.)
- Students will work in shifts so will also be able to do exams (and are encouraged to do so!).
Planning/training meeting at 9:00 on Friday, April 13 before our regular meeting.
- Go over scoring procedures, materials to be printed, as well as procedures for the adult helpers working with you. (We’ve had some problems in previous years with adult or student helpers not being adequately prepared with how to deal with checklists, exams, etc.) It’s important that everyone knows what they are doing prior to Carnival Day.
Each teacher register your own students to assure appropriate leveling. Please indicate clearly if your student is taking strings or piano exams. If you teach both, please be very clear about which exam your student is taking. Consider filling out 2 separate registrations, one for strings and one for piano.