KMTA Performance Competitions – VOCAL & INSTRUMENTAL DIVISION
As an incentive for student growth, the Kitsap Music Teachers Association awards cash prizes to students who demonstrate outstanding achievement in performance during independently judged competitions.
WHEN: Saturday, March 14, 2020
WHERE: Gateway Fellowship 18901 8th Ave NE, Poulsbo, WA 98370
WHO: Students who are currently studying with a teacher who resides or teaches in Kitsap County, or is a member of KMTA, are eligible to compete.
- The Elementary Level is limited to 5 students per teacher. There is no limit to the number of Junior or High School entrants from each studio.
HOW: The KMTA Performance Competition is decided by an impartial judge from outside the Kitsap Chapter of the Music Teachers Association, and is held in conjunction with the WSMTA State Recitalist Competition.
- Students who also meet the eligibility requirements for the WSMTA State Recitalist Competition in District III have the option to have their performance considered for one or both competitions by selecting accordingly on the Registration form.
VOCAL & INSTRUMENTAL DIVISION PRIZES:
Elementary (3rd – 5th grade): 1st Place $50; 2nd Place $40; 3rd Place $30
Junior (6th – 8th grade): 1st Place $100; 2nd Place $75; 3rd Place $50
High School (9th-11th Grade): 1st Place $300; 2nd Place $200; 3rd Place $100
High School (12th grade): 1st Place $600; 2nd Place $500; 3rd Place $400
(Note: First place winners may not compete in the same division level in subsequent years)
The repertoire requirements are the same for both the KMTA Performance Competitions and the WSMTA State Recitalist Competition:
- Students must perform one selection of music from any one of the standard periods of music (baroque, classical, romantic, impressionist, contemporary).
- Performance time is limited to 5 minutes. Cuts are allowed in order to meet the 5 minute limit.
- Multiple selections are permitted for dance suites, variations or prelude and fugue, time permitting.
- Some transcriptions may be allowed.
- Memorization is required for both the KMTA Performance Competition and the WSMTA State Recitalist Competition.
- WSMTA Recitalist Competition candidates must select one of the two pieces they played during the Music Artistry Program to play in the competition.
- Winners of the WSMTA State Recitalist Competition are required to perform the same selection of music in the State Honors Recital that they played in the competition.
- Students must provide a legal score for the judge’s reference during their performance.
- Students who provide an unlicensed photocopy of the score to the judge will be permitted to play, but will be disqualified from winning any prize.
- ADD accompanist info
- Specific times for each Division and Level will be sent out to teachers with participating students after registration has closed.
- Students must arrive 15 minutes prior to their competition time to check in and receive their performance number. Arrival after the competition has begun cancels their entry.
- If only one student enters, he or she will be allowed to play and will be awarded a prize.
JUDGING and RESULTS
- The performance competitions will be decided by impartial judges from outside the Kitsap Chapter of the Music Teachers Association.
- The judge’s decisions are final. Any questions should be directed to the KMTA Competition Chair.
- Winners and ranked alternates will be announced at the conclusion of each division and level of the competition.