Membership in KMTA entitles one to participate in association-sponsored adjudications, workshops, recitals, master classes and other students events; to vote, both locally and at conventions; and to receive Quavers, the Clarion and American Music Teacher publications. You also get a contact listing on our searchable member teachers page including a link to your studio website if any, and will be included on other promotional materials.
Vision and Values
The mission of MTNA and its affiliates is to advance the value of music study and music making in society and to support the professionalism of music teachers.
The mission is accomplished by members who teach with competence, act with integrity, volunteer services to association programs, provide professional support for colleagues and communities, and comply with all laws and regulations that impact the music teaching profession.
The mission calls for an ethical commitment to students, to colleagues and to society.
Code of Ethics
COMMITMENT TO STUDENTS – the teacher shall conduct the relationship with students and families in a professional manner.
- The teachers shall respect the personal integrity and privacy of students unless the law requires disclosure.
- The teacher shall clearly communicate the expectations of the studio.
- The teacher shall encourage, guide and develop the musical potential of each student.
- The teacher shall treat each student with dignity and respect, without discrimination of any kind.
- The teacher shall respect the student’s right to obtain instruction from the teacher of his/her choice.
COMMITMENT TO COLLEAGUES – The teacher shall maintain a professional attitude and shall act with integrity in regard to colleagues in the profession.
- The teacher shall respect the reputation of colleagues and shall refrain from making false or malicious statements about colleagues.
- The teacher shall refrain from disclosing sensitive information about colleagues obtained in the course of professional services unless disclosure serves a compelling professional purpose or is required by law.
- The teacher shall participate in a student’s change of teacher with as much communication as possible between parties, while being sensitive to the privacy rights of the students and families.
COMMITMENT TO SOCIETY – The teacher shall maintain the highest standard of professional conduct and personal integrity.
- The teacher shall accurately represent his/her qualifications.
- The teacher shall strive for continued growth in professional competencies.
- The teacher is encouraged to be a resource in the community.
The membership year is from July 1 to June 30. Your dues should be sent to MTNA by June 30 in order to be included in the coming yearbook. Kitsap Chapter is part of Washington State (WSMTA) District III, which also includes the following chapters: Enumclaw, Gig Harbor, Mt. Rainier, Puyallup Valley, Tacoma and South King County.
|High School (WSMTA)||15.00||20.00||35.00|
It’s very easy to join KMTA! To apply online, click here. (Note: This link takes you to the national MTNA site. If they change their membership page address this link will no longer work. If this happens, go directly to the MTNA site and look for “Membership Information.”)
- New members joining after January 1st, 2017 reduce dues by 50%.
- Dues for new members joining after April 1st, 2017 shall be applied to the following year.
- New members must pay their dues by January 10, 2017 in order to participate in adjudications.
- Renewing members must pay their dues by October 15, 2016 in order to participate in adjudications.