KMTA uses Music Literacy Program evaluations developed by the Washington State Music Teachers Association (WSMTA) at our Music Carnival event. Here are instructions for completing the registration process for your students:
MUSIC CARNIVAL MUSIC LITERACY PROGRAM (MLP) REGISTRATION
THE INFORMATION ON THIS PAGE IS FOR 2017. IT WILL BE EDITED FOR 2018 WHEN NEW INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE.
Registrations are due by February 27, 2017.
*FOR EXCEL SPREADSHEET USERS: Use this registration Excel spreadsheet : WSMTA_ME_Registration_for_KMTA for the event, not the one on the WSMTA site.
FOR ALL OTHERS: If you need to print out and fill in a registration form by hand, you can use This PDF file (click to open and print).
To fill out the registration form for our use, PLEASE FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY:
1. Fill in the student’s name: last name, first name.
2. Use the WSMTA Musicianship Exam Handbook (available at the WSMTA site: https://wsmta.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/musicianship_exam_handbook.pdf) to determine appropriate successful levels for each testing area. Students do not need to be the same level for all of their exams.
3. Under Option 1: indicate Perf S (solo) and/or Perf E (ensemble). Both fit in the same box.
4. Under Option 2: include Art, Written and/or Listening Project.
5. Under Option 3: include any of the remaining options (Composition, Improvisation, Digital Keyboard Skills, Transposition, Lead Line, and/or Analysis.
6. Do not fill in state or chapter fee. Write only the total fee per student (see fees below). We will figure out the state’s portion.
7. Send registration form and one check payable to “KMTA” to Dianne Johnston, P.O. Box 655, Kingston, WA 98346. Keep a copy for your records. The registrations must be postmarked no later than February 27. This is a firm deadline, so please plan accordingly.
*If you use the Excel program form (only if you have Excel on your computer) you follow the same instructions as above, with the exception of the options. If your students want to do more than 3 options, for instance “solo” and “ensemble,” simply use an extra line and use the drop down box to choose the additional option. As above, do not enter the state fee, go to the total fee column and enter the $15.00 per student or $40.00 per family, unless you are a KMTA member, in which case enter $10.00 per student or $25.00 per family for the total fee. If you have any questions feel free to email or call Dianne Johnston.
There is a teacher fee of $40.00 which is waived for WSMTA/KMTA member teachers, or teachers who are not members, but are willing to help the day of the Carnival, or they become KMTA/WSMTA/MTNA members prior to April 22, 2017.
It is the responsibility of each teacher to prepare your students to be successful. The Handbook is a great resource, as are the online resources below.
PREPARING STUDENTS FOR MLP
- Washington State Music Teachers website: www.wsmta.org download registration forms, Musicianship Exam Handbook and other documents
- Wendy Stevens Website: www.composecreate.com then check the dropdown list at Resources for free rhythm worksheets and other teaching materials.
- www.composecreate.com/web-rewards for free online games and worksheets in levels 1 – 10 with a check list for each level, corresponding with the musicianship exam materials. Your students can do these on their own computers.
- www.composecreate.com and click Store for purchasing sample Theory tests at levels 1 – 10 corresponding to the musicianship exam materials. Levels 1 – 6 $17.50 and levels 7 – 10 $22.00
- www.musictheory.net has free interactive drills in theory and ear training.
- www.musiclearningcommunity.com with a monthly charge for up to 50 students has colorful teaching games especially for younger students.
- Check Michelle Mielke’s column in the WSMTA Clarion newsletter for additional sites with teaching resources.
Piano Technique Testing: Actual exam score sheets show the scales to be learned for each level and the scoring rubrics. You may download, print and use these sheets in your studio to help your students prepare for Musicianship Exams. Levels 1-10 (PDF)
Also especially for Strings: WSMTA Musicianship Examinations Curriculum Guide – modified for Strings PDF Format. Includes a table for Sightreading standards for Levels 1-10.